Thursday 5 March 2015

Blog- Week 5


Kelli Monheiser
Blog- Week 5
Locals

I plan to keep this weeks blog short and sweet, because, well, week five has simply been short and sweet. Although this was our first four day weekend to accompany everyone’s travel plans, I decided not to go anywhere too far. On a last minute, instantaneous decision, a group of four of us decided to get a cheap bus ticket to Doolin, Ireland, a small down only about two hours away, where we found a cheap apartment like house to stay in. Although the weather was not the best, we still managed to do a little adventuring where we made a seven and a half mile hike to the Cliffs of Moher. It was cold and wet and tennis shoes quickly became one of he worst decisions we had made. However, it was well worth it. Much to our surprise, and luck, you could say, there was a music festival going on all weekend at the pubs in Doolin. They had everything from traditional Irish music to a group of high schoolers who had been one of the most talented groups that I had ever seen.  It was a good opportunity to see a little bit of the culture shine through in Ireland. I would advise anyone to attend a music festival of any sort during an off weekend.
            One of the things that I was worried about when coming to Ireland is the kind of people that I would encounter, or the locals. Being away for three months is a long time, but it will feel even longer of you are centering yourself around a bunch of rude people. Here in Ireland, I promise that you don’t need to worry about that. The people are some of the most thoughtful people I have ever met and throughout all my encounters so far, I have yet to meet someone who has treated tourists unrightfully. With the small town of Spiddal being the nearest source of life that we have, you will get to know the bar owners, restaurant waiters and waitresses, Texico clerks, post office staff and everyone else very well. They seem to enjoy having “the Americans” staying close by. Also, Jane Marie and John Paul are some of the nicest people I have met not only in Ireland, but ever. They would do anything to make sure that we are comfortable where we are staying, and that is one thing that I am very thankful for. Having parent figures here when mine are so far away.
            Overall, the first month of the trip has possessed many learning situations, great memories, breathtaking scenery, hard and lonely nights of missing home, bonding with new people and more. I have mixed feelings about saying that we are a third of the way done; both sad and happy, complete and unsatisfied, cultured and ignorant, and more, but I look forward to the rest that the trip has to offer in the next two months.    





No comments:

Post a Comment